The original railroad depot in Carlsbad was built in 1887 by the Arizona Eastern Railway, and replaced in 1907 by a much more ornate depot built by the Santa Fe Railroad at the urging of town fathers. In addition to serving the railroad passengers it also served as a telegraph office, Post Office, Well Fargo Express Office, and general store. In later years local fruit, vegetables, and flowers were shipped through the depot. The last passenger train stopped here in 1957 and the depot was closed in 1960. But life continues on for this historic structure as it now houses the Carlsbad Visitor’s Information Center.
The Visitor Center is home to information on the city of Carlsbad and the entire San Diego County region. Each year, thousands of travelers coming to the Carlsbad area stop by and learn about the local area and receive information on things to do, see, restaurants, hotels and more from the staff residing in the old train station. Filled with railroad history, the historic building offers much charm while providing informational services to the visitors.