Also known as Barrio CARLOS, its original center was located at the corner of Roosevelt and Walnut. Most of the original population of Carlsbad consisted of farm workers, and a lot of them lived in this neighborhood.
The first families to settle in the barrio were the Ramirez and the Trejos, in 1918. By 1924 the Acuña, Mata, Aguilar, Martinez, Soto, Gastelum, Cantabrana, Villaseñor, Flores and Alcaraz were resident of the area.
In 1943 the Jaureguis bought the grocery store that now is Lola’s. Refugio Rochin and Manuel Castorena owned C&R Provisions. Castorena became the City’s first fire commissioner, and later one of its Mayors. The museum is not open daily, visitors should call ahead to make an appointment.